Friday, July 16, 2010

Wow, so much.

It seems like every time I blog, I have some kind of "news" that I feel like everyone on earth (who cares about what I have to say) has to hear. Well, I don't have any news, but I know that I haven't updated this for a while. SO.....

Classes: You will just have to wait until I re-post about this, because I don't want to give out dates and times until the hosts of my show (the Forest Hills Community Education program) confirms the info on their own website. It'll come soon, don't worry. Hint: The three classes I'm teaching are Millefiori Cane-building, Stacker Beads, and Seed Bead Embroidery.

Fitness: Some of you who are on Facebook know that I like to talk about my fitness stuff. I love to talk about running and working out. Though I'm far from a skinny athlete, I'm almost 50 pounds lighter than I was last year (and the majority of my 30's). Some folks have asked me how I've done it. Simple: Eat healthy, Exercise regularly. Sometimes as I walk by a dark storefront and catch my reflection, I still don't recognize the shape I see. Yet I know I'm not "there" yet, and that keeps me motivated to keep going.

My exercise of choice (and most enjoyment) is running. Running is hard. That's why you have to start easy and slow. I recommend the Couch-to-5K program, which will turn a non-runner into a 5K runner in 9 weeks. Now, I've been wearing some Asics to help me become a runner. Asics are designed for running, and aren't available at Walmart or Target. You have to go to a running store to get them. Or online. Having someone who knows about running shoes and who can look at your form, helps in getting the correct shoes for you. However.....

I'm in the middle of reading Born to Run, a book that my brother is letting me borrow, and that I find hard to put down. In fact, as I write, I'm listening to Diane Rehm's program from last week about Running in America, which features the author of the book, and with an emphasis on barefoot running. I live in the city, and I don't want to cut myself on some broken glass. However, there are some great parks with safe sidewalks that I look forward to experiencing without shoes. I'll need something in cooler weather, too, at least since I'm starting and I probably don't have the thick skin that will keep my nerves from burning in super-hot sun. Lots of experimentation to be had. (And money to be saved!) When it comes to inclement weather, including cold, I will always have this option.

So much of the energy that I used to put into creating jewelry or art or whatever has transferred to physical exertion. I don't work out 7 days a week, but I do keep it consistent, with proper breaks between runs/weights/cycling. I do fit the art into my time, but not so much as a profession. Hobby-status seems to be a bit less pressure, and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment