Thursday, November 14, 2013

Late Fall/Early Winter Goings-On

Hidey-ho friends,

Ovenfried Beads has been spending a lot of time doing things other than polymer clay lately. I've been really inspired to experiment with inks on papers (various kinds of both), creating non-subjective patterns and weird shapes.  I have no idea what they'll become, but when I figure that out, I'll have a lot to work with!  Have you ever tried Suminagashi?  Suminagashi is a Japanese marbling technique that is just so fun....not as messy as Western fabric or paper marbling.  I'm still in the wee experimental phase of doing it, but I'm really happy with the results.  It's very mesmerizing.  I will add pics once I get them taken and uploaded.

This summer, after I took a fabric marbling class, I started rusting fabric.  Boy is that fun!  It's one of the easiest things on earth to do, much like the mushroom spore prints I played around with during warmer, mushroom-producing months.  I have lots of pieces of fabric to play with, and look forward to the cold cold days of winter when there's a foot of snow on the ground, work is called off and I can just play with the reserve of materials that were created.  Below are photos of the rusting setup, rusting result and a piece of multi-media art I created.
   
This is the fabric over the rusty bits I collected for years

                                         This is the fabric after it was rusted, rinsed and ironed.

                                       
                                          This is the multi-media piece of art I made from leftover paper.


Shows have been scarce for me this year.  My day job requires working weekends, which is when most craft shows occur.  I'm okay with that...I love my job, but I also love selling my work.  SO, if you are in Cincinnati, or will be visiting, you should totally come see my booth at a 2-day show on December 6th from 5:30-8pm and December 7th from 11am-5pm.  I'm having a hard time uploading the swanky PDF that the organizers provided, so here's the address until I can get it up on here.  The New School Montessori, 3 Burton Woods Lane, Cincinnati OH, North Avondale neighborhood.  If I didn't have to head off to work in 5 minutes I'd hunker down and make the poster happen.  Anywhoo, all I can say is that it's going to be a fabulous show featuring staff and alumni of the school.  I used to work there, so I guess I'm staff alumni.  Some of the new experimental work will be for sale.

Gotta run....I'll bring more updates sooner than later.  It's been a crazy month, so I hope this weekend or early next week I can entice you with more photos of new work!





No comments:

Post a Comment